Dr.-Ing. Sagbo Rogatien, Akohou Gbacada
Sagbo Rogatien, Akohou Gbacada has worked on his PhD thesis at the Chair for Spatial and Infrastructure Planning of the Technische Universität Darmstadt from July 2012 to August 2017. He holds his Dr.-Ing. for Spatial and Infrastructure Planning (2017) at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Sciences of Technische Universität Darmstadt after his MSc of Spatial Planning (2011) at Institute of Regional Science (IfR) in the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and his „professional Maitrise Degree“in local development in geography studies at the University of Abomey-Calavi, Benin (2005).
Within the framework of the chair for Spatial and Infrastructure Planning and the graduate school for urban studies – he researched in the field of Infrastructure planning, co-evolution of cities and infrastructures, governance of urban infrastructures, environmental and spatial issues associated with the sustainable development of water supply and wastewater systems in the city of Cotonou. By doing this, he combined conceptional approaches of urban and infrastructure research in his dissertation.
Characteristics, Problems and Perspectives of water supply and sanitation in Cotonou, Benin
The sustainable development of the city in transition is a great challenge in the Global South, and questions of urban development in this part of the world attract more and more international attention (cf. UN-Habitat, 2010). In this context, the project focused on the urban water supply and sanitation systems of the port city Cotonou, the capital of Benin and went in theoretical and empirical terms, to show the characteristics, problems and perspectives of integrated spatial and infrastructure planning.
Three main objectives were achieved:
- Explanation of the urban and technical infrastructure spaces of Cotonou through the prism of the „modern infrastructure ideal“: Which specific infrastructure systems are historically grown in the city of Cotonou? To which extent did they follow the „modern infrastructure ideal“ and in how far have local particularities emerged?
- Identification of the characteristics of water supply and sanitation in selected urban areas of Cotonou: Do the water supply and sanitation structures in the selected urban areas differ from each other?
- Analysis of problems, the innovation potential and planning tasks
- What tasks emerge, consequently, for spatial and infrastructure planning?
Derivation of recommendations for local decision-makers in the field of politics, administration, infrastructural service providers and public organizations.
University Studies and Degrees
|06/2012-08/2017||Doctoral Studies at the Chair for Spatial and Infrastructure Planning, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany|
|10/2008-04/2011||Master Studies of Spatial Planning in the Institute of Regional Science at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology|
|10/1999-09/2005||Geography Studies for a Professional Maitrise Degree in Local Development at the University of Abomey-Calavi, Benin|
|10/2004-06/2007||Associate Consultant with Cabinet Tremplin, Cotonou (Benin)|
|06/-08/2009||Planer with the Regionalverband Mittlerer Oberrhein in Karlsruhe|
|10/2003-04/2004||Reseach Assistant with the Municipal Development Partnership in Eastern and Southern Africa (Cotonou, Benin)|
|07/2003||Project-Management Assistant in the implementation of a decentralized program between Picardie (France) and Collines (Benin) for community-development|
Scholarships and Awards
|08/2012-07/2015||Heinrich Böll Stiftung | PhD Studies Fellowship|
|12/2011-06/2012||Anna Ruths Stiftung | PhD Research Project Fellowship|
|06/2008-04/2011||German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) | Masters Studies Fellowship|
- Akohou Gbacada, S.R. (2018): Charakteristika, Probleme und Perspektiven der Wasserver- und Abwasserentsorgung in Cotonou, Benin, ISBN 978-3-940897-42-8 Verein zur Förderung des Instituts IWAR der TU Darmstadt e.V.
- Akohou Gbacada, S. R. (2012): Straßenverkehr in einer Metropole einer Niedrigtechnologiemetropole am Beispiel von Cotonou, Bénin, ISBN:978-3-8428-8245-4 Diplomica Verlag GmbH, Hamburg.
- Akohou Gbacada, S. R.; Christin Zeitz (2009): Verkehrsplanung in den Metropolen an der Küste des Golfes von Benin (Accra, Cotonou, Lagos und Lomé), 2008-2009 Studienprojekt, am Institut für Regionalwissenschaft- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
- Akohou Gbacada, S. R. (2005): Mobilisation des ressources locales dans les collectivités décentralisées : cas de la commune d’Abomey, Maîtrise-Arbeit an der Universität Abomey-Calavi, Bénin, 2003-2004
- International Conference (2015) organized by IGU Commission on Geography of Governance (IGU-GoG) & Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning – University of Lisbon about „Local Government and Urban Governance: Citizen Responsive Innovations in Europe and in Africa“ in Lisbon – Portugal – April, 9-10 2015. Presentation about Governance of Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Systems in the Global South: Characteristics, Problems and Perspectives; the Case of Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Systems in Cotonou, Benin.
- Technische Universität Berlin and the Technische Universität Darmstadt (2015): Interdisciplinary PhD Training Week, presentation in workshop “Beyond the networked city” of my research on Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Systems in the Global South, March 9-14, 2015, in Dar es Salaam, Tansania.
- VAD-Kongress (2014): Zukunft Afrika; participation in different panels such as Panel 24 on the creation of futures: models and ideals in planning African cities; VAD-Kongress 11-14 June, 2014, in Bayreuth, Germany.
- Förderverein der IWAR TU-Darmstadt
- Lokale Gruppe der der Heinrich Böll Stiftung Darmstadt
- ONG de Rencontre Africaine des Acteurs de Développement Local in Bénin
- Alliance Internationale contre la Faim au Benin
- Network for Adolescents and Youth of Africa, Benin
- Fondement pour le Developpement Local, Benin