Erika Yuni Astuti
Erika Yuni Astuti has been a staff lecturer at the School of Architecture, Planning and Policy Development in the Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, Indonesia since 2010. She also worked as a research assistant and junior architect in the Laboratory for Housing and Human Settlement, Department of Architecture, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS), Surabaya, Indonesia. She graduated from a master’s program (2009) and bachelor’ degree (2002) in the Department of Architecture, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember, Surabaya, Indonesia. Her doctoral research is an interdisciplinary subject within architecture, urban planning, and social theory, where she explores public perceptions of heritage areas.
Inhabitant Awareness of Conservation in the Urban Heritage Area: a case study of the Darmo settlement, Surabaya, Indonesia.
The problem of preserving a residential heritage area that is located in a city center is very challenging. The Darmo settlement is one of the oldest designed residential areas in eastern part of Indonesia, and has been nominated by Surabaya Municipality as a heritage area that needs to be preserved. For Surabaya citizens, the Darmo settlement is perceived to be an important historical residential area that has special characteristics that cannot be found in the newly built parts of the city. The Darmo settlement has varied problems which include high land taxation, building maintenance problems, and changing functions due to economic pressures. A regulation to conserve the area has already been enacted, but still the phenomenon of modernizing the style of old buildings is apparent. This research focuses on the Darmo residents’ attitude toward heritage conservation planning, the inhabitants’ opinions about the area they live in, and seeks to describe the heritage conservation process. Surabaya citizens perceive the Darmo settlement as a very important part of the city. Therefore, empirical research to explore inhabitants’ awareness is necessary, for both tenants of residential as well as commercial buildings.
University Studies and Degrees
|09/1997-09/2002||Bachelor of Engineering in Architecture (Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember / ITS – Surabaya, Indonesia)|
|09/2007-09/2009||Master Program in Architecture – Urban Development Management (Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember / ITS – Surabaya, Indonesia)|
|09/2006 and 02/2007||Advanced International Post Graduate Training Program – Conservation and Management of Historical Building (Lund University, Lund, Sweden)|
|Since 12/2010||Lecturer, School of Architecture, Planning and Policy Development (Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, Indonesia)|
|08/2001-12/2010||Research Assistant, Laboratory for Housing and Human Settlements (Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember, Surabaya, Indonesia)|
Scholarships and Awards
|2012-2015||Directorate General Higher Education – Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture Scholarship (BLN -DIKTI) for Doctoral Program|
|2007-2009||Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture Scholarship for Master Program|
|2006 and 2007||Grant from Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) for Advanced International Post Graduate Training Program “Conservation and Management of Historical Building in Sweden (September, 2006) and Egypt (February, 2007)|
Publications and Conference Papers
- Astuti, E.Y. (2017). Inhabitants' awareness of shared architectural heritage. A case study of Darmo conservation area, Surabaya, Indonesia. Conference: Preserving Transcultural Heritage: your way or my way? Questions on Authenticity, Identity and Patrimonial Proceedings in the Safeguarding of Architectural Heritage Created in the Meeting of Cultures. Lisbon, between 05 and 08 July 2017, with the organisation of the ARTIS – Institute of Art History from School of Arts and Humanities of the University of Lisbon and the ICOMOS Portugal. Proceeding: ISBN: 978-989-658-467-2; DOI:10.19262/978-989-658-467-2
- Astuti, E.Y. (2017). Conservation policy for Urban Heritage in Darmo, Surabaya, Indonesia. Conference: TechnoHeritage 2017. 3rd International Congress Science and Technology for the Conservation of Cultural Heritage. Cádiz, May 21-24, 2017. University of Cádiz, Spain
- Astuti, E.Y. (2015). Inhabitant attitude toward Conserving Urban Heritage Area, a Case of the Darmo Heritage Area-Surabaya, Indonesia, Int. Conference on Innovative and Sustainable Architecture, Planning and Landscape (ISAPL) in The Newcastle University, NCL, UK.
- Astuti, E.Y. (2015). Local perception of a conservation heritage area, a case study of the Darmo residential area , Surabaya, Indonesia, The 12th European Scholar on Envisioning Envisioning Architecture Association Conference. Poland. The conference proceeding is published as Monograph – ISBN 978-83-7283-681-6.
- Astuti, E.Y. (2014). Inhabitants’ values within a built conservation area. Case study of the Darmo Settlement, Surabaya, Indonesia. 18th ICOMOS Conference Heritage and Landscape for Human Values, Florence, Italy, 9-14 November 2014.
- Astuti, E.Y. (2013). Urban Policy on Historical Settlements, case study Heritage Housing in the Diponegoro Corridor Area – Surabaya Indonesia, Sustainable Building Conference – SB 13, organized by Hanyang University, held in Seoul, South Korea.
- Pratiwi, W.D, Astuti E.Y., Samsirina, Hamida I. (2013) Urban Dwelling and Housing Adaptability: Consideration for Policy Innovation, Habitechno International Seminar, organized by Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, Indonesia.
- Astuti, E.Y; Putri, D.S.W.S; Sudarmadji, N.Intangible Cultural Heritage City as City Branding in Solo (2012) paper published on Arte-Polis 4 International Conference, organized by the Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, Indonesia.
- Astuti, E.Y. (2007). Integrating New Building Façade in Historical Buildings-Case Study: ST Vicentius A Paulo Hosipital – paper submission for Advanced International Post Graduate Training Program “Conservation and Management of Historical Building” organized by Lund University, Sweden.
Astuti,E.Y.(2016). Managing urban heritage area: A complex process toward an interdisciplinary approach, 3rd IHC – International Conference in Heritage Management- Developing Best Practice in Heritage Management, Greece, 2016. The conference is organized by MA in Heritage Management – University of Kent.
- Indonesian Architect Association (IAI)